Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Birthday in Uruguay




















Two days ago, I hopped on the BuqueBus catamaran ferry from Buenos Aires to the Uruguayan port city of Colonia de Sacramento. The day was grey and started out drizzly. When I disembarked, I thought the place was going to be a bust. No people and the one street the locals guided me to was unimpressive. I saw a lighthouse across the small historic part of town and went to explore. That's when the real Colonia came out. Around the lighthouse are many cobblestoned streets with alot of shops, bars and restaurants. Gorgeous colors and mallorca type pottery plaques everywhere denoting some past battle or notable personage. Many old cars of familiar and strange makes.
The ruins around the lighthouse were fascinating and I believe they are from an ancient Portuguese fort.
A lot of mosquitos as well. In fact, on the way back to the ferry in the late afternoon, I saw a sign I translated as ways to prevent Dengue Fever. Oh well...........

No comments: