Monday, May 31, 2010

XIV's Cirque







MR and I had our plans for a beach weekend thwarted so we looked around to see what was happening on a holiday weekend where the city has been seemingly left to the tour book toting bunch. This is where the inventive theater/dance company of Austin McCormick comes in. The Company XIV's Le Cirque Feerique turned out to be a little gem of hybrid dance, song, comedy and drama nestled into my section of Brooklyn. With great lighting, an amazing set and opulent costuming, the stage is set for 90 minutes of fairy tale retelling.
My only criticism is that the Ringleader talks too much...... while the cast changes scenery and costumes, the Ringleader told stories that unnecessarily fell flat. I found the machinations of the troupe's preparations more interesting than a forced laugh.
The highlights are many but I think the Red Riding Hood, Cinderella and the Frog Prince stand out for me.
Only one more week to catch this fun show. Go.

No comments: